Saturday, March 10, 2012

wake up and do something more!

I'm inspired by the accounts of President Monson's Christlike love as shared in this talk from the March 2012 Ensign. In response to learning about his care and compassion for people, I set a goal to start all of my conversations off by asking about the other person's life as much as possible, and then actually remembering things about them.

On Thursday, I was fairly successful in keeping my goal. I was happier than I have been in a long time! I even made a friend whom I wouldn't have otherwise made. There's a new guy in my research lab who, for whatever reason, rubbed me the wrong way. I guess he seemed a little cocky or overconfident. In any case, I decided to try talking to him about his life (instead of judging him based on my bad perception), and I found out that we have several things in common. We both served Spanish-speaking missions in the States; we're both on the Super Senior premed track; we're both taking the MCAT this year. I can't remember everything we talked about, but I do remember feeling like I could be friends with this guy.

What's even more amazing to me is that, until I started talking to him, the other students in the lab hadn't really engaged with him much. However, as I started talking to him, the whole lab came alive with friendly conversation, and I could tell that I wasn't the only one who had befriended this person. The love of Christ is something that spreads to all of Heavenly Father's children, and when we make an effort to share the love He has given us, He uses our efforts to bring His love further than we could have imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment