Friday, February 10, 2012

why do we endure?

While reading President Eyring's talk, "Adversity," a profound thought struck me that I knew I had to share or else I might forget what I had learned.

The fifth paragraph down states that:
The very opportunity for us to face adversity and affliction is part of the evidence of [Heavenly Father and the Savior's] infinite love. God gave us the gift of living in mortality so that we could be prepared to receive the greatest of all the gifts of God, which is eternal life.
While no one wants to go through suffering, it is a necessary part of our sojourn here on the earth. Without our trials, we would never know joy (see 2 Nephi 2:23). Without adversity, we would never learn good from evil or be able to become stronger because of our resistance to adversity (see 2 Nephi 2:11).

So when we are seeking to be humble and submit to God "as a child doth submit to his father" (Mosiah 3:19), we don't have to act in blind faith. Instead, we submit to the Father because we know He has only our best interests in mind. We know that His plan is a plan of happiness, not a plan of misery. Whatever suffering we must endure in this life, we know that He does not allow us to pass through trials just so that we will be miserable, but because our trials will "give [us] experience and be for [our] good" (Doctrine and Covenants 122:7).

My goal starting today will be to face my trials with an attitude of "thy will be done," with gratitude for the plan of salvation that God has created for me, and with faith that the Lord loves me and that His work and glory is truly to bring about my eternal happiness (see Moses 1:39).

No comments:

Post a Comment