Friday, February 10, 2012

why are we here?

To preface this post, I need to explain that it's a response I posted to a forum for my New Testament class (taught by Brother Griffin at BYU), where we got on a tangent talking about Moses 7:26-36, which discusses Enoch's vision of the Lord crying over His wicked children. It's kind of deep doctrine, so feel free to tune out this post if you feel uncomfortable. The point our teacher made in class was that when the Lord says that there was never so much wickedness as among Enoch's brethren, He's saying that this earth, among worlds without end that God has created, is the most wicked world of all. Christ came here because no other nation or planet would have been wicked enough to crucify their own God.

The point of all of this is that we came to this world instead of going to a less wicked one; this was not an accident. Here is what I wrote in response to this class:
As Brother Griffin talked about Enoch’s vision of the Lord crying for His children, and how we all came to this earth despite the wickedness of God’s children here, it made me think about why I’m here. Whether I chose to come here or simply accepted Heavenly Father’s call to serve on this earth, the whole reason I’m here is because I wanted to be among those who worked to bring about God’s eternal purposes on this earth and bring some of His most wicked children back into His fold. If that was my choice, then the best thing I could possibly do here on earth would be to “waste and wear out” (D&C 123:13) my life in serving others, sharing the gospel, and making myself a servant to the Lord. 
I also appreciated the reminder Brother Griffin gave that we shouldn’t let any of this go to our head, but to our shoulders. This, to me, is what the gospel is all about—he who is greatest shall be your servant. Christ, who was the only perfect being to ever live a mortal life on any of God’s worlds without number, took nothing for Himself, but gave Himself as a sacrifice for sin so that we might live again. If I have any sort of special calling or position in God’s plan, it doesn’t mean I’m better than anyone else; it only means that I have a greater responsibility to serve all of His children. If we can all understand this principle, pride will have no place in our soul because we realize that we gain nothing by having more than someone else. We only gain more by glorifying others, thereby glorifying the Father, who in turn, through Jesus Christ, glorifies us.
I felt like this goes along with some of the things I learned recently as I studied "charity... seeketh not her own." If my purpose here is to do the Lord's will, it just makes it that much more important to have charity and to seek His will instead of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment