Wednesday, February 15, 2012

suffereth long... and is kind!

The other day, my New Testament professor made a point about the attributes of charity that has completely changed how I plan to continue this blog. He was talking about how many of us suffer for a long time ("charity suffereth long"), but Christ (whose love charity truly is) both suffered long AND was kind amid that suffering. I'm beginning to realize that I can't just study one attribute of charity at a time, because they work together to create that Christlike love that we so desperately need to cultivate.

As I continue studying how charity "beareth all things" and "endureth all things," it is beginning to come clear that it is necessary that one "believeth all things" and "hopeth all things." Christ told us to "be of good cheer" despite our tribulations. And why? "I have overcome the world" is His powerful response (John 16:33).

So from now on, I'm going to mix and match these various attributes of charity in order to understand more fully how they work together, rather than trying to study each one independently. I imagine this will cause my study to go on much longer, since there are so many ways you can combine these attributes, but I'm sure I won't regret spending more time studying the pure love of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment